Philadelphia EZ Permits

The City of Philadelphia offers a type of building, electrical, and plumbing permit called an EZ Permit.  This is because it’s easier to get than a normal permit (don’t look at me like that – I’m not in charge of naming this stuff).  Philadelphia EZ Permits are the source of a lot of hope and a lot of confusion for homeowners and developers.  In this post, we’re going to try to clear some of the mud off the Philadelphia EZ Permit.

The EZ Permit Difference

EZ Permits have four major, major advantages over the regular permit application process in the City:

  • You do not need to submit architectural plans to apply for these permits
  • You can pick them up the same day you apply for them in person, and 3-5 business days after application if you apply online.
  • There is no application fee in person, and the $100 application fee online is deducted from the permit fee (so you have to put up $100, but you get it back as a permit fee rebate)

Here at Permit Philly, I can tell you the things clients hate most about the permit process are paying to apply, paying for architectural plans, and waiting on City review.  An EZ Permit solves all of those problems – so why, I am frequently asked, don’t we just apply for an EZ Permit?

Permit Philly, for the record also thinks EZ Permits are great – they’re just not allowed for most projects. Most projects require plans – so let’s start there.

Why and When Architectural Plans are Required by the City of Philly

The City requires architectural or engineering plans for applications because…

  • The City doesn’t inspect every lot in town before authorizing construction – if I apply to build something, Licenses and Inspections won’t immediately ride out to the building site, sirens blazing. That would cost a lot of money.  Instead, they want to see a plan showing what I’m going to build.
  • The City wants development to stick to its promises – I can’t say, “I wanna build a house here” and then create a three-story sculpture of a pterodactyl (even though that would be dope)
  • The City wants your idea and calculations on record for legal reasons – if I want to build a house, and I have engineer-stamped documents promising that the structure is sound, then it’s on my head (not the City’s) if I change the plans without approval and something bad happens

So: almost all development projects in our fair city will require plans, and will not be eligible for a Philadelphia EZ Permit.

Why and When Plans are not required by the City

And yet there is hope!  Some projects do not seek to build anything new, just to remodel existing structures or perform building maintenance.  And there are a million and one folks in Philly who are just looking to gut and renovate rowhomes for themselves or to rent out or to sell.  When the essential structure of the building isn’t being changed, and the exterior isn’t being demolished and replaces with neon pink spikes (because the City won’t let us be awesome), then there really isn’t much of a need for a full blueprint.

But even without the blueprint, the City still needs to cover itself legally in the event I apply for a permit to renovate a house but instead demolish it and build a super thin skyscraper (I call it the Philly Spire).  This is where the Philadelphia EZ Permit comes in:  It is a document that binds you, the owner or contractor, to follow the strict limits of the EZ Permit, while authorizing your project without a plan set.

What Projects are Eligible for a Philadelphia EZ Permit?

I’m so glad you asked!

You can find a full list, and all the requirements for each project type, at the main EZ Permits page.  But let’s simplify that list a little bit:

There are basically two categories of EZ Permit: those for single-family homes, and those for everything else.

In a single-family home, you can do – essentially – a full home renovation without a single sheet of plans:  It’s called an interior alteration permit!

Very important note about the interior alteration permit:  You can’t get it unless…

  • You live at the house
  • You own the house in your own name
  • The address of the house is printed on your driver’s license, or other identifying documents

If a company owns the house (or if you don’t live there), you can still pull an EZ permit… but you’ll need a simple set of architectural plans or a sealed engineer’s report (from a PA-licensed engineer).

Under this permit, you cannot…

  • Do any work in the basement, unless the basement is already finished up to code
  • Add a bedroom in the basement
  • Do any work on any structural members of the building, ever, for any reason

Yep: under the interior alterations permit, you can’t add anything to the building.  You can get some other EZ permits to add a small deck in the back or maybe a pool.  But you get no additions; no demolitions – except of interior partitions that don’t hold weight.  Don’t mess too much with the exterior, either: you can switch out a masonry façade under certain circumstances, but you can’t punch a hole clear through the roof and rebuild the whole roof to your liking – the City will want plans for that (also, why would you want to do that?).  However, you can replace the roof covering with just the EZ Permit.  There are EZ Permits just for home plumbing and electrical work, too.

For all other building types, your options are limited.  You can install certain types of siding with an EZ permit, and paint the exterior.  You can also repair small chunks of a damaged roof covering, though you can’t re-roof the building.  You can replace windows.  You can put up a small sign – but be careful, because you almost certainly need a zoning permit for that.

Inside the building, you have a little more leeway: you can reorganize the layout by demolishing non-load-bearing partitions with only an EZ Permit (though if you’re adding dwelling spaces, you’ll need a new use permit and a floorplan).  You can put small HVAC systems in tenant spaces (though sadly, this doesn’t apply to commercial kitchens).  You can make tweaks to certain fire suppression systems – though you can’t create a full sprinkler system for an entire building without submitting plans.

This makes some sense: somebody doing minor repairs in their own home isn’t really a danger to their neighbors, so long as they don’t mess with the structural integrity of the building.  On the other hand, if someone wants to do a massive renovation on a Chestnut Street building in Center City, they’ll probably cause quite a mess, and the City will want a peek at their plans.

Go forth and build renovate!

Armed with this knowledge, you too can begin tearing up the floors in your home in a licensed, responsible manner without asking an architect to map out your living room.  Or, if it’s still kind of a hassle for you, you can just have Permit Philly get the permits for you.  We really don’t mind it when we don’t have to file plans.

31 Replies to “Philadelphia EZ Permits”

    1. Hi Jeff! Yes, you can apply for the EZ permit as a homeowner. In fact, if you are the homeowner residing a given property, and the property is zoned for one or two families, you can even perform the work yourself — no contractor required!

      If you apply for an EZ permit on behalf of a contractor, you will need the contractor’s tax clearance certificate and certificate of insurance when you got to the district office to apply.

  1. Hi. If I own a one or two dwelling property, but I don’t live there (want to rent it out), am I required to use a contractor to do something like put in new floors or update cabinets? This seems silly if I could update my own dwelling and later rent it out, but I couldn’t update a different property I own. Thanks for clarifying!

    1. Hi Kay!

      The City’s official wording is as follows:

      “All work must be performed by a licensed Philadelphia Contractor with the following exceptions:

      – Work may be performed by an owner residing on the premises of an existing one or two family dwelling.
      – Work may be performed on an existing one or two family dwelling by a registered PA Home Improvement Contractor maintaining a Philadelphia Commercial Activity License.”

      So, it is a little silly, but that’s the rule.

      If you have any further questions, please let us know at!

  2. Hi, I need some clarification about the EZ permit.
    I need to pull an electrical and plumbing permit for my house.
    Since some of the work needs to be done by a professional (relocating a gas pipe) I will have a licensed contractor. But I’m curious if some of the small work can be done by my self. like running a new water line to add a sink.

    1. Hi Paolo!

      For EZ building permits, you can do the work yourself if you own the property AND live there. However, only an electrician or plumber can apply for an EZ electrical or plumbing permit.

      If you have any more questions about this, the fastest way to get in touch is email at!

  3. Hello I live in a row house in philly and I’m interested in buying the house attached to me and I want to do a full rehab ( in stages ) but I want to do most of the work myself as I am a carpenter by trade..would I be able to get a ez permit for the work (as a homeowner with out using a contractor ) for the work I am doing myself as I am only living next door until the house is done … thanks in advance

    1. Hi AJ!

      You would have to be able to prove that you live at the house for that to work. Otherwise, if you’re already a carpenter, you could get a Philadelphia contractor’s license and make yourself the listed contractor on the project. Either way, if you’re not changing anything structural, or building any additions, this project should qualify for an EZ permit from your description.

      Email at if you have any more questions!

  4. Hello! I lived in a 2 story twin. We would like to repair/extend the existing deck, add a cover to it, and replace the concrete stairs with wooden ones. I understand I will need 2 permits: one to do the deck and another to demolish the stairs. Unfortunately, I can’t find any info on building on the deck cover. Please help!

    1. Hi!

      Okay, you’re right about the two permits, but you don’t need two building permits: You need a zoning permit to go with a building permit here, since you’re extending the footprint of the building. When you say “building on the deck cover,” what does that mean, exactly? And how far do you want to extend the deck? There must be a minimum amount of open space in residential zoning districts, and a covered deck would probably not be considered “open” by the City.

      Feel free to email if you’d like to discuss this further!

    1. Hi Ari,

      For certain parts of the renovation, like the plumbing and electrical work, you can most likely get an EZ permit (it depends on the scope of that work, but usually MEP work in a small building falls within EZ standards). However, for the building permit you would need to submit plans. You can only get an EZ (no plans) alteration permit for a single-family dwelling.

  5. Hi, is it true that Architecture Plans are now required for any non-owner occupied rehab work including non-structural type work including drywall repair, new flooring, new kitchen cabinets?

    1. Hi Joe,

      Unfortunately, as of October 1st single-family homes can only be altered under an EZ permit if the owner lives there. Otherwise, yes: plans would be required, even for something as simple as a kitchen remodel.

  6. Hi!
    We are in the process of getting a zoning use special exception that is currently zoned as RM-1. We are trying to get a special exception for a barbershop on the first floor. If we are granted the special exception from the ZBA, can we apply for the EZ permit if we aren’t breaking any of the specified conditions for it? Or because of the change of use, we need a building alterations permit?

    Thank you!

    1. Hi Shelby,

      If there’s no change to the building itself, then you can apply for a use registration permit without plans — that will be appealed to the ZBA. However, for the actual fitout of the shop, you’ll need an alterations permit and a Certificate of Occupancy — these permit applications will require plans.

  7. If you had work done by a contractor but he didn’t pull the permit, or finish it..
    Could you pull a permit and have a new contractor finish the work?
    I live in Philadelphia.

    1. Hi Jacquelyn,

      Yes, you can have a contractor pull the permit legally to make all the previous work official! The new contractor must be registered properly with the City of Philadelphia.

  8. Can someone link me to the L&I website where it talks about the new EZ permit rule requiring you to live on the property to apply for these permits without plans? Also, does anyone know what the review period is? Is it still the same day even if you’re submitting plans, or is it now 15 business days like the regular building permit application? Thanks!

    1. Hi Eli, you can find the L & I section on EZ permit here. You can pick up the permits the same day you apply for them – there’s no 3-4 week review period or acceleration fee. If you are submitting plans with your permit it is not considered a EZ permit — for building permits the review period is as follow:

    2. Alterations to a one-or-two-family dwelling: 10 business days
    3. Additions to a one-or-two-family dwelling: 15 business days
    4. All others: 20 business days
    5. The review period will vary depending on the type of permit you need to pull. If you have more questions feel free to contact us at Thanks for reaching out to us!

  9. Hi, I was considering doing some drywall work in my house. If I get the EZ permit will they send an inspector to look at the before and after? Just wondering if there are quality standards I’d have to live up to (I’m not in construction), and if they would have the ability to inspect the rest of the house or make me fix other cosmetic aspects of my house within a certain time period? I’ve heard horror stories about L+I deeming houses “un-livable” during remodels.

    1. Hi Emily,

      For this EZ- work, please feel free to contact the city for the standards, and there will be an inspection after. Remember that all work done as EZ-permits cannot be or effect the structure.

    1. Yes, to replace the roof covering you would need a permit. You might need a different sort of permit than simple roof covering depending on how large the roof is, but either way this would require a permit in Philly. Let us know if we can help you out with it!

  10. Hi!
    I live in a 500 sqft single house on a 4000 sqft lot. I want to add an additional bedroom to the side of the house, I am very handy but not licensed. Would I qualify for the EZ Permit?

    1. Hi Rose! Thanks for contacting us.

      Unfortunately, additions do not qualify for an EZ permit. You would need plans from an architect or engineer to expand the square footage of the house. If you need a recommendation for a good architect, let us know! You can reach us at (or just call at 267-744-4200).

  11. Can the work be started as soon as the EZ permit is approved? or do I have to wait for a pre-work inspection by the city to start the work?

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

©, Permit Philly LLC.